St Theodore's Church
The Church of St Theodore was designed by John Loughborough Pearson of London; a famous architect of his time who had undertaken the restoration work at Westminster Abbey and designed Truro Cathedral. The church was built between 1895-7 and cost about £25,000. Apart from the organ, which was paid for by the public, the cost was borne by a local landowner Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Park and was built in memory of her brother Theodore (d.1876) and sister Olive (d.1894).
St Theodore’s was consecrated by the Bishop of Llandaff on the 5th August 1897 and was originally part of the Parish of Margam, built to accommodate the growing population of Port Talbot.
Constructed of local blue-grey specked sandstone with bath stone dressings under tile roofs, this Grade II* Listed Building underwent a major restoration project in 1997 to coincide with and mark its centenary.